Thursday, February 17, 2011

Second brown skirt


About two weeks ago I finished two brown skirts in one weekend. I'll post the first one as soon as I get someone to take a picture of me wearing it. This one, unlike the other one, was very quick to make up - it only took me an hour and a half, including cutting the pieces!

I followed this tutorial, and it worked pretty well. A few comments:
  1. I'd never worked with knit fabric before. It doesn't feed through my machine in the same way as the woven fabrics I'm used to. This resulted in a certain sloppiness in some of my seams (including the hem). But in this skirt, I don't think it matters.
  2. The fabric I chose is a 100% cotton jersey knit, and it's not quite as stretchy as it probably should be. The waistband relies on negative ease for fit, since there is no elastic involved, but my waistband is not stretchy enough to fit over my hips. I have to put it on over my shoulders. But this doesn't bother me.
  3. I really like the yoga-style waistband. It's very comfortable and I think it looks pretty good.
  4. I like that there were no pattern pieces to cut out. That's usually my least favorite part of a sewing project. Since these pieces were all rectangles, I just cut cut them out with my rotary cutter, quilting-style.
Overall, I'm happy with this skirt. I've been wanting a simple brown skirt like this for a while now, and I'm glad I finally got around to making it(and it only cost $7.50 for the fabric!)
I'd like to learn how to sew nice things with knits, but it's a little intimidating. I know a lot of people use a serger, but I'm certainly not going to buy a second sewing machine. I'm going to experiment more on my ordinary sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment