Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Green Shawl Finished!

My green shawl is finally finished! I started it in the summer of 2008, when my family was on vacation in Flagstaff, AZ. We went on a day trip to Sedona, where we stopped in at the Red Rock Knit Shop. I fell in love with a gorgeous lace shawl displayed on the wall. The owner of the shop directed me to the online source for the pattern, and I bought the yarn right there and then (the yarn was Classic Elite Silky Alpaca Lace; this is not the yarn recommended in the pattern).

It has taken me nearly 3 years, but it is now finished. In the picture above, you can see it all pinned out for blocking. Here it is soaking in Eucalan wool wash first:
After removing it from the wash water, I squeezed it in a towel. It was so small!
Then I rolled it up in a bath towel and walked all over it before Robert helped me pin it out symmetrically. After it had dried, it was clear how much more orderly the stitches had become. The lace pattern became much more clear than it had been before.
Here, you can see the difference in size of the shawl before and after blocking. The first photo is before, and the second is after. For reference, the back of the couch folds down to make a full-sized bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment