Sunday, July 22, 2012
Now I'm thinking I might try to whip up a drawstring carrying bag for this project. The tin bucket I'm storing it in now is cute, but it doesn't hold the skeins of yarn I haven't gotten to yet, and it's not good for taking it out of the house. I've got two really cute 30's style fat quarters that I think would work really well ...
Saturday, July 21, 2012
This is just the first sock, and right now it's taking a back seat to the many other projects I've got going on right now, but I think I'm going to make some progress on it this week.
Friday, July 20, 2012
Wednesday, July 18, 2012
The only problem was that the pattern really requires 44-45" of usable fabric width, and it just so happened that the fabric I chose for the binding only had 40" of usable width. I had no idea this was going to be a problem until after I had cut all of the fabric strips (including the binding), sewn the strip sets, and was cross-cutting them into smaller units. I just didn't have enough of that one particular fabric. After I had used just about every square inch of the tiny green check, I was still short. I ended up having to piece the ends of some of the strip sets together and put a bunch of selvedges in seam allowances, and I was still short. This is why there is one little square of the outer border in the middle of the quilt, and why the inner border has corner squares. I had to adapt the pattern. My mom also had this issue, although not as badly as I did. She got away with just having one or two pieced squares of the same fabric.
All in all, though, I'm happy with how it turned out, and it was great as a piecing skills refresher. I'm eager to trade quilt patterns with mom and make another, although next time I will almost certainly plan a scrappy binding (there were enough leftovers to cut at least one width of fabric binding strip from each of the other fabrics) to avoid fabric shortage issues.
Also, I LOVE my 1/4 inch piecing foot!
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
I'm using another variation of the pattern I used for my first brown skirt, McCall's 5591, but I had to adapt it to make the skirt less full, since the original pattern pieces are too wide to fit across grain, but this print is definitely directional, so that won't work. Also, my old skirt has a ruffle at the bottom of the lining which I'm planning to re-use, so I want the new skirt to be about the same fullness as the old one so the proportions work out.
So far, I've cut out the outer skirt pieces, the pockets, and the yoke pieces. I've Ironed the white fabric for the lining, but I need to adjust the skirt pattern pieces for that and cut them out. I stopped at JoAnn on my way home today and bought the zipper, but I forgot to get embellishing braid for the seam between the yoke and the skirt. I still need to cut out the interfacing for the yoke, and, of course, sew it all together!