this time) I started feeling like I had too many projects and too much stuff and I made an intention to work through my UFO list and get some stuff finished. My loose plan was that I should finish two projects for every one I started. Since then, I have not finished a single thing on my UFO list, but I have started and finished the Lone Star baby quilt for my soon-to-be-niece, the Kindle case for Robert's birthday, this little purse, and the navy skirt at the bottom of this post. I've also started a larger version of the purse because this one is too small. As you can see in the picture below, it is overfull with my wallet, ipod, keys, chapstick, phone, and my university wallet/keychain. With these things in it, it will not close, and I also need it to fit my sunglasses.
Buttercup Bag from Made by Rae. It's a free pattern, and very cute. My plan is to use this one for going to the symphony and other date nights, when I don't want to carry a huge bag and don't need to have so many things with me.
I'm planning some significant enhancements on the larger version - a zipper closure, an inside zipped pocket, and one or two inside pockets with elastic on the top. I'm not quite sure how to explain the elastic pockets, but I've seen in on some tote bag patterns, and I think it's just the thing to make 3-dimensional space inside the pockets and prevent things from falling out of them at the same time.
Here's my navy skirt. This has actually been on my future projects list for a while, and I used some really great coupons at Joann to get the fabric and elastic really inexpensively. The whole skirt (including thread that I didn't have in the right color) was about $10. I expected the skirt to go together in an hour or two, but as usual everything took longer than I expected. I put in pockets and tried to use the rolled hem foot on my sewing machine to do the hem. Even though I practiced on scraps, the hem just didn't turn out. I need lots more practice before I can use that tool on a garment. It took quite a while to pick out the rolled hem and re-do it with my usual "turned under twice and topstitched" hem.
Thursday, June 27, 2013
Saturday, June 22, 2013
Dandy As Lions Photography.
Sunday, June 16, 2013
When Robert and I flew out for my mom's graduation last month, his Kindle was just floating around in my backpack with no case to protect it, so I decided that what he needed was a case for it. I got this fabric in a scrap pack from Hawthorne Threads, and Robert had admired the boy going to outer space with his dog. Since one of Robert's favorite genres is science fiction, I decided it was a perfect fit for his Kindle. I mostly followed this tutorial at Live, love, quilt. I made it to the Kindle's measurements (different from the iPad in the tutorial), decided not to quilt it, and used a hair-tie for the button loop. I was worried about making the loop the right length, so I wanted to use something stretchy rather than fabric. I'm mildly concerned about the elastic breaking or stretching out, but if that happens I can always pick apart the top-stitching and replace it.
Thursday, June 13, 2013
this tutorial at Better Off Thread. It seemed doable, especially in the baby size, and my brother-in-law and his wife happen to be expecting a baby girl in September! Since we all live in Texas, a lone star seemed like it would be a good quilt pattern for this particular baby, and the tutorial uses 2 1/2" strips - a perfect fit, since I had an extra Simply Color jelly roll lying around! The baby's nursery is going to be purple and green, so I pulled some purple, green, and grey strips from the jelly roll and went to work.