Thursday, January 30, 2014

CMS/colloquium knitting: the second end of the shawl

Today in CMS and Colloquium I started the second end of the lilac leaf shawl.  The way this shawl is constructed, it is knitted in two pieces: one with the border and the center, and the other with the border only, and then the two pieces are grafted together with kitchener stitch.  I've been working on the first end, the one with the middle attached, but I'm getting close to running out of the second partial skein I had left over from my shrug.  I don't want to have to guesstimate how much yarn to leave for the second end, so I decided to knit the second end (using the new interchangeable needles I got for Christmas for the first time!) and then cut the yarn and join it to the first end to finish knitting the center.  This way I can maximize the length of the shawl if it turns out I don't have enough yarn to make it as long as the pattern says, or if I have extra I'll only have one ball leftover.

I knitted 16 rows today.

No comments:

Post a Comment