Sunday, June 14, 2015

Tuesdays are for spinning

I decided to get back into spinning regularly (in preparation for the Tour de Fleece next month) and am taking inspiration from the Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot, who for many years made it a point (maybe still does?) to spin on Tuesdays.

I washed one of the braids that I dyed at Yarn School three years ago.  When I dyed this braid, I tried to do a gradient from light to dark green.  It was only moderately successful.  When I washed it, there was a SHOCKING amount of teal dye in the wash-water, and I've been getting some blue-green on my fingers as I've been spinning it.  I pulled the top into short lengths and roughly ordered them from lightest to darkest, and I've been using a scale to weigh out equal small amounts to spin onto two bobbins, so I can hopefully capture the color change when I ply.  I'm using a short backward draw, because that's how I spun the undyed BFL fiber that I plan to use with the green yarn - hopefully to make a color-block cardigan, if there's enough yarn at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment