Friday, February 24, 2017
The biggest problem I had was with the buttons that fasten the sweater closed - I forgot to do a thread shank when I sewed them on, and they were way too tight. I couldn't even get the buttonholes around them, so I cut off the buttons and re-sewed them. They were much better the second time, but there still wasn't really enough room between the buttons and the button-band. Next time I'll try to do better ....
Size: 24", but I used the stitch counts for the smallest size
Yarn: Rowan Pure Wool Worsted (100% superwash wool) in Buttercup, 2 skeins
Needles: US size 8, I think
Started/Completed: December 2016/December 2016
Modifications: Used worsted rather than sport weight yarn. I used the stitch counts for the smallest size and the length measurements from one of the larger sizes.
Saturday, February 18, 2017
The scarf is a ribble pattern. I had Robert page through my stitch dictionary to see what he liked, and then I suggested the reversible cables as something that would be thick and warm, and not too much of a pain to knit. I cast on 86 stitches, knit a few rows of garter stitch, then switched to ribbles with a 3-stitch garter border on each side, knit until it was as long as he is tall, and finished with a few more rows of garter. I was somewhat reluctant to knit a scarf because I remember them taking forever and being pretty boring, but I was pleasantly surprised that this came together quickly - and he loves that I made it for him.
The mittens have a ribble cuff to match the scarf. I spent a lot of time browsing Ravelry for free mitten patterns. Although I have a really fun mitten book (Knit Mittens!), all of the patterns in it are pretty fancy, and I wanted something plain. I eventually settled on this vintage pattern. I also came across this stranded pattern on the same site - I'd love to make those in the future!
I originally wanted to make a matching hat to go with the scarf and mittens, but I didn't have enough yarn. I only bought 3 skeins of yarn, and only have about 75 yards left. Maybe next year I'll get another skein, hope the dye lots are close enough, and make the matching hat.
Pattern: My own brain for the scarf, vintage pattern for the mittens
Yarn: Valley Yarns Northampton in Denim Heather (100% wool); 2.7 skeins = 270 grams = ~675 yds total
Needles: US size 9 for the scarf, US size 5 for the mittens
Started/Completed: I don't remember - Fall 2016
Modifications: Ribble cuff instead of plain cuff for the mittens
Saturday, February 4, 2017
I think the dress came out cute, even if it isn't the twirly kind of style my niece usually likes. I hope she will be able to wear it as a dress, and then as a tunic as she gets taller. I'm glad I was able to use this little piece of cute fabric that I'd been saving for her!